Exception from ENG 100 (Writing I) given through CLEP
In order for a student to receive an exception from the Writing I course (with CLEP), the student must produce a collection of writing matching that required in Writing I and must attain a passing score on the CLEP "Freshman College Composition Subject Exam".
The student should:
- obtain a description of the CLEP test from the University Testing Center.
- submit a portfolio of writing to the English Department that includes: 1) example of an extended research paper using the APA, MLA, or Chicago style documentation; 2) a paper that demonstrates the writer's ability to present a reasoned argument; and 3) a cover letter explaining to the reviewers why the work being submitted meets the criteria for ENG 100: Writing I. Questions regarding the portfolio procedure should be directed to the coordinator of the General Education Writing Program, telephone (606) 783-2185.
- wait for the General Education Writing Committee to review the portfolio.
- if the portfolio passes, then the student may take the CLEP examination.
- if after having passed the portfolio requirement, the student attains a passing score on the CLEP exam, the student will be granted credit for ENG 100.