General Education Goals
The purpose of Morehead State University's general education component is to equip all students with the knowledge and skills to live fulfilling and productive lives as educated citizens of the world.
Students will be expected to demonstrate the ability to:
- Communicate accurately and effectively.
Students must be proficient in both written and spoken English.
- Locate, select, organize, and present information efficiently.
Students must be able to retrieve and organize information from various disciplines and to use appropriate computer technologies.
- Think and reason analytically.
Students must be able to use methods of scientific inquiry, understand and apply mathematical concepts, and reason logically by evaluating, analyzing, and synthesizing information.
- Make informed and ethical value decisions.
Students must make responsible decisions after considering the moral, aesthetic, and practical implications of their actions.
- Function responsibly in the natural, social, and technological environment.
Students must recognize and understand both the dynamics and social implications of political, environmental, and scientific processes.
- Recognize and respond to aesthetic values in creative human expression.
Students should develop an appreciation for the arts and the humanities.
- Develop life skills.
Students should develop knowledge, skills, and behaviors which promote well-being.
- Recognize and value the multicultural nature of American society and respect the rights of all citizens.
Students must consider how others think and live in order to develop understanding of and respect for the cultural diversity within American society.
- Analyze global issues in the context of cultural diversity.
Students must understand the diversity as well as the commonality of world inhabitants and understand the need to act responsibly as world citizens.