Bachelor of Arts in Communication Program Competencies
Students will demonstrate:
- Understanding of communication theories.
- Understanding and application of various techniques and technology in effective message production and delivery.
- Knowledge of the characteristics and capabilities of various media to convey effectively ideas and messages.
- Understanding of the impact of communication and related media on history, society, and culture.
- The ability to interpret and analyze critically the characteristics and merits of individual communication artifacts.
- The ability to research, develop, and deliver cogent messages via various media.
- The ability to apply legal and ethical standards to the communication process.
- The ability to communicate effectively in written and oral form.
The major in Communication with one of the four options will require a total of 42 semester hours including the Integrative Component but not including any required general education class. The four options are: Advertising and Public Relations, Journalism, Organizational and Interpersonal Communication, and Production.
All students majoring in Communication will take the following core courses:
COMM 110 History of Communications Media
COMM 220 Introduction to Communication Theory