Middle Grades (5-9) Education
J.Fernandez, L. Fitzgerald (Chair), K.Lafferty, S.Lindsey, K.Sharp, K. Warsame
Based on the Teacher Standards, students graduating from the 5-9 program should:
- Demonstrate a knowledge of the growth and development of middle grade students.
- Describe the historical, philosophical, and psychological basis of middle grade and middle school programs.
- Demonstrate skills in planning and implementation of instruction in several different organizational patterns.
- Accurately assess the instruction needs of students.
- Develop an effective system for managing the classroom.
- Relate planning for teaching to the needs of middle grade students.
- Identify school and community resources that could be used in instruction.
- Plan for communication with students, parents, and other school personnel.
- Establish cooperative relationships with other school personnel and skills in working in teams.
- Develop a breadth of content knowledge.
- Demonstrate a knowledge of the provisions of the Kentucky Education Reform Act.
- Demonstrate appropriate uses of technology to support and enhance instruction.
- Demonstrate the capacity to provide leadership within the school, the community, and the profession.
Assessment Procedures 5-9
GPA of 2.50
Completion of required field experience hours
Teacher Performance Assessment