The University requirements for all Education Specialists, Master's/Non-degrees are:
- A minimum of 30 graduate semester hours without a thesis, or 24 graduate semester hours with an acceptable thesis. Most programs are more than 30 hours. For the Education Specialist program, a minimum of 60 hours including the Master's degree must be completed.
- No credit earned by correspondence or through testing programs may be applied to the requirements for the Master's degree, Ed.S., and non-degree programs.
- Residence credit is given for all MSU course work completed on the campus or at the regional campus centers. Not more than nine hours of approved transferred work will be accepted toward the minimum requirements for the Master's degree, Ed.S., and non-degree programs.
- Fifty percent of the total course work (minimum of 15 hours) must be earned in one field of study.
- A minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0 is required for the degree or non-degree, and no credit is allowed for a mark below "C."
- A maximum of nine semester hours may be earned through independent study, directed study, special problems, or workshops.
- Satisfactory completion of a comprehensive exit examination. For specific requirements of a particular program (which may go beyond the minimum), consult the section on the appropriate program.
- Must be unconditionally admitted to the program.